Tuesday 2 December 2014

Scar Symmetry - The Singularity (Phase 1 Neohumanity)


Scar symmetry is one of those bands I have a few CD's from, lost touch somehow by not seeing them touring and forgetting how good they are. The albums I have are from the days of vocalist Christian Alvestam, who himself could swap between very melodic vocals and deep grunting lines. Nowadays vocal duties are divided between Roberth Karlsson and Lars Palmqvist, although I do not know who sings which parts. Still their typical balance between very melodic almost poppy verses and death metalling parts is still very much there and used with great success. I wonder how they manage this split on stage and stay large parts without vocal lines and hope to see this soon on a stage nearby. Where the vocal split sets them apart, the big man behind Scar Symmetry is Per Nilson who wrote, played guitars/keyboards and produced the album. 

The Singularity Phase 1 is the first of a trilogy and gives us a Sci-Fi story. The contents of the story can be resumed after the release of Phase 3, as I already know that I shall keep an eye on Phase 2 and 3 as well. This album reminds me of the recent great succes of Voyager at Progpower due to the mix of catchiness and heaviness. Staying in progpower references I also think of Shadow Gallery, but then three notches heavier with added grunts. Still the instrumental mastery and covering keyboards are pretty similar. While I love this CD, I can also see a risk for this album. Those into melodic death metal might consider the poppy parts too light, while the melodic rockers might get scared by the sometimes brutal voices. Personally I can't care less about these risks as I love this album, look forward to the follow-up and think a headlining spot at Progpower 2015 is well deserved. Yet another great CD in 2014, the list gets longer and longer. Recommended!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment